Jack and Karen: Coast to Coast

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cover letters, resumes and references... Oh My!

Hmm... I'm trying to think of something more painful than job searching. Sunburn? Nah... it turns tan. Bikini wax? That's usually over pretty quickly. Hangover? I can sleep that off. Filling cavities? Nope 'cause they numb you. I'd rather be doing/have any of those things because they cause mild, temporary discomforts that can usually be forgotten in a few days. I don't anything is as nerve-racking as hunting for a job except maybe dating. It's practically the same thing - you keep subjecting yourself to criticism in the hopes you'll find that perfect position/person. I've got lots to say on meeting Mr. Right but let's focus on one of my issues at a time, shall we?

There's no doubt I have more options in general by living in a metropolis like San Jose. Where I lived in Ohio and South Carolina can't compare when it comes to writing-related jobs. Many corporations and non-profit organizations have headquarters or field offices in the Bay Area. Very good for me. It's the actually process of searching, applying, interviewing and ultimately selling myself that gets me anxious. Nobody likes rejection but it's to be expected. And as many times as you tell yourself you'll find something better, it still stings to hear "We appreciated your interest in the position, but..." Listen to me... making it sound like I've been rejected. (Not yet anyway.) I'm just prepared for the long and tedious battle ahead. While I continue to search and await the interviews, I think I'll lie out by the pool without sunscreen.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Misty said…

    I hate job-hunting! I'm tentatively starting again, though, because I'm only barely scraping out a living. I hate, too, though, because I love my job. One suggestion that I'm doing this time--if you have a scanner, scan your clips and save them as a PDF and burn them to CD. Much easier to deal with then making a hundred photocopies. When you scan them, though, it actually works better if you scan a clear photocopy than it does if you scan the original.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Randi said…

    OK, so I totally have the job for you. (Although, if you got this, I would be insanely jealous and probably go all single white female on your ass!) You should be a TV reporter for one of the 1,000 entertainment magazines based out of CA. You could write columns about....VERONICA MARS. Just a thought....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home